Thursday 9 October 2008

Fin.

It was probably the last ever Real Daniel O'Donnell Show last night and we all really enjoyed it. The sketches weren't exactly rehearsed beforehand so us shitting ourselves might have lent a certain energy to the show. Our guests were all excellent and it was certainly great to finally have Robin Ince on our stage and he was fantastic. I'm very jealous of anyone who can get 10 minutes of well put-together material from something that happened 10 minutes ago. The script editor for Skins is a fucking prick of the highest order and I and you hope he gets run over by a ship very soon.

I'm not sure how I feel about it being the last show. Margaret and Zoe are either busy or pregnant and it's not really the same without them, Muki's going to be under doctor's orders for a while and we're certainly too thick to run the show ourselves plus I'm not sure how keen I am on the Albany any more. It's a great venue and James Wren, who runs it, is a very nice man to deal with but we always run at a loss because the venue hire price is ridiculous and now I'm told that if we're at the venue before 5 o'clock on the day we have to pay for that as well. That's pretty much a fucking insult. We get people in who buy drinks from their bar (when you can fucking find any of the staff) but that's seemingly not enough for the Albany. Although they must make a good few hundred quid from us each show they still want to charge us for turning up early to make sure the show runs well. Why would the show running well matter to them? They've got our money so we can all go fuck ourselves. Thanks for your support. It'll be a shame if we can't go back to the Albany but I'm not paying twice to use the same room. As a mark of defiance against the venue I am now boycotting Clark's until they change their policy. And if they don't, well, it's still all good.

Last night was also the beginning of Los Quattros Cunts which is basically The Trap, me and some unfinished sketches. Although it was all very rough I think it might turn into something very nice indeed. We definitely have some great ideas that we can work on. I think The Two Ronnies' Fork-handles sketch sending one of our sketches a telegram was a bit of a highlight for me and Jeremy's Jamie Gollum was fucking superb. Mainly, though, it was the slagging off of other sketch groups that was the most enjoyable. I liked that. It has to be said that Dan Mersh was fantastic in the show last night so we might get rid of him. And the audience were just perfect, really into it and very supportive. All in all, I'm feeling very positive about this little venture because, at the end of the day, it's all about performing something you care about in a great venue in front of intelligent, caring and supportive people.

I'm off to do some gigs in Liverpool now.

No comments: